MS teams configuration to allow use of user extension numbers
Some teams users may wish to make use of the user extension number feature within the Microsoft Teams platform. As of Nov-2023 a change to the Microsoft Teams services means additional configuration on the Teams platform is required to allow inbound calls to route correctly. Below is a guide on how each number can be set up to allow the extension feature to work.
- Navigate to routing rules in the Teams Admin Center: https://admin.teams.microsoft.com/phone-numbers/routing-rules
- Select Add
- Under 'Rule Name' enter the number in national format e.g. '091234567 DID'
- Under 'Evaluation Order' enter the next available order number
- Under 'Select a rule' select 'Single number'
- Under 'Enter a number' type the number in +E164, e.g. '+6491234567'
- Under 'Route to' select 'Person in Organization'
- Under 'Select a user' enter the name of a user in your organization and select assign
- Select save
- The routing rule is now successfully configured, please allow up to 30 minutes for the rule to apply.